[Zope-dev] Blueprint: zope.generations

Michael Howitz mh at gocept.com
Mon Aug 23 03:41:30 EDT 2010

Am 22.08.2010 um 15:09 schrieb Tres Seaver:

> Michael Howitz wrote:

>>> +1 in general.  Can you add to the proposal a list of what you think
>>> the dependencies of zope.generations will be?
>>
>> This is the list: (I also added it to the proposal.)
>>
>> - ZODB
>> - transaction
>> - zope.app.publication (only needed in a utility function to get the database root folder)
>> - zope.component
>> - zope.interface
>> - zope.processlifetime
>
> It seems like we should be able to remove the zope.app.publication
> dependency:  don't the processlifetime events include a "database
> opened" event we could use?

The "database opened" event from zope.processlifetime is already used, zope.app.publication is needed for this function in zope.app.generations.utility:

def getRootFolder(context):
    return context.connection.root().get(
        zope.app.publication.zopepublication.ZopePublication.root_name, None)

I think this function is needed in every generation script.
Is there another way to get the root folder?
Should the root_name be hard coded here instead of importing it?

Yours sincerely,
--
Michael Howitz · mh at gocept.com · software developer