[Zope-dev] Zope2 ZMI and HTML5

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Thu Feb 4 16:35:52 EST 2010

On 2010-02-04, Charlie Clark <charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu> wrote:
> Am 04.02.2010, 13:13 Uhr, schrieb Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>:
>
>> I think perhaps Robert meant to say that Zope2 would[ no longer use DTML
>> for any part of the ZMI, rather than removing the code which allows
>> users applications to use DTML.
>
> This is something I would like to contribute to as it matches my skillset
> and interests pretty well. From the responses so far it seems that most
> people are so used to the ZMI that no change feels necessary and, let's
> face it, it works well enough. However, for new people coming to Zope the
> 1990nish of it is a bit off-putting: we've got all this cool technology
> underneath but you wouldn't believe it when you look at it. And I don't
> think much is required beyond dropping frames, the table-based layout
> using PageTemplates rather than DTML. I have an open ticket on much the
> same for CMFDefault which is where I will start from (from the point of
> view of separating markup from layout). But my work rate isn't brilliant
> so it would be good to have a sparring partner or two.

+1, "works fine as is" or "will be dead before long" are not the best
approaches IMO, factoring out the ZMI functionality in to something
that folks can maintain and contribute to in the future if they want
to, is.

--
Alex Clark · http://aclark.net
Practical Plone 3 · http://tinyurl.com/practical-plone