[Zope-dev] Zope2 ZMI and HTML5

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Sat Feb 6 11:16:39 EST 2010

Am 06.02.2010, 15:21 Uhr, schrieb Matthew Wilkes
<matthew at matthewwilkes.co.uk>:

> It seems like a lot of work for no gain.  I can think of a couple of
> examples where DTML templates are monkey-patched in Plone and none of
> those are anything particularly vital.  DTML works for the ZMI, new
> pages can be written in ZPT, why bother going back and changing them all?
>  I mean, how often do you really need to do maintenance on the security
> form, for example?

The reason for doing the work is not functional but aesthetical. This
doesn't make it any less valid. Yes, it's a lot of work and yes I'm not a
fast worker. But it is clearly definable and could best be done in two
steps:

1) Move to a more recent version of HTML (HTML 5 without the new tags),
CSS 2.1 based layout and iFrames for containment and use ZPT instead of
DTML
2) Replace frames with aysnchronous communication

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director