[Zope-dev] Adding W3C validating to zope.testbrowser

Brian Sutherland brian at vanguardistas.net
Tue Feb 23 11:30:12 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:57:02PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:57:09AM -0500, Benji York wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Ross Patterson <me at rpatterson.net> wrote:
> > > I started a branch for doing W3C HTML validation on responses to
> > > zope.testbrowser requests:
> > >
> > > svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zope.testbrowser/branches/rossp-validator
> > >
> > > The idea is to be able to flip a switch and run all my functional
> > > zope.testbrowser tests and see validation failures as test failures.
> >
> > I'm not keen on this idea.  Validation checking isn't hard to do with
> > testbrowser as-is, and doing it on every page load is overkill.  Add to
> > that the global nature of the required switch and this really doesn't
> > seem like the right approach.
>
> I'd like to chime in and suggest using WSGI to hook up zope.testbrowser
> and zope.app.testing.functional (or a better-designed replacement for
> the latter).  Then you could plug in W3CValidatingMiddleware (if one
> doesn't exist, it should be trivial to write it) between them.

We use wsgi_intercept to get zope.testbrowser to listen to the other end
of a WSGI pipe during testing

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/wsgi_intercept

The testbrowser integration we have is far from perfect but was enough
for is to stop using zope.app.testing.functional

    http://svn.zope.org/van.testing/trunk/van/testing/layer.py?rev=105324&view=markup

It would be pretty simple to have a make_application call that wrapped
the application in validating middleware depending on an environment
variable.

--
Brian Sutherland