[Zope-dev] z3c.form vs. Invalid exceptions

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 08:31:39 EST 2010

Hi,

The z3c.form doctests make it look like raising zope.interface.Invalid()
would be an acceptable thing for a validator to do. It also makes it
look like the argument passed to the Invalid() constructor is a string
that would be displayed as an error message.

However, when I do this (in a constraint or a IValidator adapter), the
exception is not caught, and so causes a traceback. In field.py, we have::

           try:
                 widget.setErrors = self.setErrors
                 raw = widget.extract()
                 if raw is not interfaces.NO_VALUE:
                     value =
interfaces.IDataConverter(widget).toFieldValue(raw)
                 zope.component.getMultiAdapter(
                     (self.content,
                      self.request,
                      self.form,
                      getattr(widget, 'field', None),
                      widget),
                     interfaces.IValidator).validate(value)
             except (zope.schema.ValidationError,
                     ValueError, MultipleErrors), error:
                 view = zope.component.getMultiAdapter(
                     (error, self.request, widget, widget.field,
                      self.form, self.content),
interfaces.IErrorViewSnippet)
                 view.update()
                 if self.setErrors:
                     widget.error = view
                 errors += (view,)

And indeed, this doesn't catch Invalid. In error.py, on the other hand,
there is an InvalidErrorViewSnippet.

Is this intentional?

Martin