[Zope-dev] redirect burps on unicode URLs

Adam GROSZER agroszer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 10:12:27 EST 2010

Hello,

Some background:
This arises when you try to access a url which has non-ascii in it
(but is well encoded), usually a document uploaded by a user.
Then the loginform comes with it's camefrom parameter.
On successful login yo uget redirected to the camefrom url, which gets
unencoded to unicode, that's where it burps (for me).

Do we want to fix this?
Which part is bogus? The loginform with it's redirect or the redirect
itself?

WA> On 2/25/10 17:08 , Tres Seaver wrote:
>>
>> Adam GROSZER wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Looks like zope.publisher burps on unicode URL which contain non-ascii
>>> chars. This is from a KGS 3.4 application, but looking at the source
>>> it still seems to have the same problems.
>>>
>>> opinions?

>>>      self.request.response.redirect(url)
>>>    File "d:\home\.buildout\eggs\zope.publisher-3.4.6-py2.5.egg\zope\publisher\browser.py", line
>>> 729, in redirect
>>>      return super(BrowserResponse, self).redirect(location, status)
>>>    File "d:\home\.buildout\eggs\zope.publisher-3.4.6-py2.5.egg\zope\publisher\http.py", line 882,
>>> in redirect
>>>      self.setHeader('Location', location)
>>>    File "d:\home\.buildout\eggs\zope.publisher-3.4.6-py2.5.egg\zope\publisher\http.py", line 676,
>>> in setHeader
>>>      value = str(value)
>>> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xd6' in position 71: ordinal not in
>>> range(128)
>>
>> Two issues:
>>
>> - - Technically there is no such thing as a "unicode URL":  URLs are
>>    always ASCII, with other characters encoded[1].  IRIs and IRLs are
>>    a different thing altogether.

WA> I see this as naming confusion. In this day and age every URL is
WA> effectively an IRI, and every modern browser treats them that way. If
WA> you look at http://jp.wikipedia.org/ you can see how well that works. I
WA> do not see why zope.publisher should not be able to support that
WA> transparently. Other systems such as Routes and repoze.bfg do.

WA> Wichert.

Best regards,
 Adam GROSZER                            mailto:agroszer at gmail.com
--
Quote of the day:
Do not make friends who are comfortable to be with. Make friends who will force you to lever yourself up.