[Zope-dev] patterns for using sphinx with the Zope Toolkit?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Jan 2 14:21:09 EST 2010

Hi there,

I am interested in creating sphinx-driven documentation for Zope Toolkit
packages. I'd like to maintain the documentation for a package (say,
zope.component) in that package, in a 'doc' directory.

I'm wondering what experiences people have with maintaining Sphinx docs.
I've used plain Sphinx before, but are there any buildout recipes people
recommend, for instance?

It'd also be interesting to explore using Manuel - how would one add
manuel-based testing to a Sphinx documentation tree? I'd like to give
the priority to testing documentation samples as opposed to
doctest-driven testing. I also want to be careful: sometimes the doctest
setup fluff tends to distract from clear documentation, and sometimes
the effort in composing doctests will slow down writing documentation.
I'd therefore want manuel-tested sample code to be incremental. I want
to be able to start out with purely untested sample code and then
gradually convert *some* samples over to Manuel. How could we support
that pattern?

Ideas and opinions? This will also help me write the "writing Zope
Toolkit documentation" document. :)

Regards,

Martijn