[Zope-dev] shrinking the ZTK: a proposed solution

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Tue Jan 5 07:53:24 EST 2010

Am Montag 04 Januar 2010 23:10:05 schrieb Tres Seaver:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > Obviously I cannot *force* ZTK
> > maintainers to worry about this. Instead I'm appealing to your
> > self-interest. And of course the transition burden is shared and should
> > not fall solely or even predominantly on the ZTK maintainers.
>
> My self-interest?  Not really:  you are appealing to my altruism, in the
> fact that I care about the *broader* Zope community (broader than Zope2,
> Grok, Plone, or whatever.  Neither of my chosen platforms (Zope2, bfg)
> rely any longer on any of thsoe pacakages at all, which makes my direct
> interest in them exactly zero.

If the ZTK is decoupled from other users, e.g. from people who rely on
zope.app, then they will simply not use it, or do a fork.

This way, ZTK users are lost, which also leads to a loss of supporters and
developers and results in a shrinking interest in ZTK, whose primary goal
was/is to be _the_ base for all other Zope-based applications.

So I think, being altruistic may be quite the same as acting out of
self-interest.

Best Regards,
Hermann

hermann at qwer.tk
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7