[Zope-dev] patterns for using sphinx with the Zope Toolkit?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 02:05:10 EST 2010

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I am interested in creating sphinx-driven documentation for Zope Toolkit
> packages. I'd like to maintain the documentation for a package (say,
> zope.component) in that package, in a 'doc' directory.

I have a couple of packages that make good use of the my current
pattern-that-I'm-aiming-for-with-all-my-packages:

http://packages.python.org/testfixtures/

http://packages.python.org/checker/

I aim to support the build and release process in the docs, specifically
building the docs and checking the ReST to go to PyPI:

http://packages.python.org/checker/development.html#building-the-documentation

I do this with the following buildout, the docs section is largely
boilerplate that I copy from project to project changing only the one
egg name:

https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/checker/trunk/buildout.cfg

I use Manuel for testing, wired in firstly to the package's setup.py:

https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/checker/trunk/setup.py

...and then I always have a file for testing the docs:

https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk/testfixtures/tests/test_docs.py
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/checker/trunk/checker/tests/test_docs.py

I routinely do development on Windows, Mac and Linux and all of the
above work on all of them.

hth,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk