[Zope-dev] zope.sendmail RFC: start background thread on ProcessStarting event

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Jan 29 04:58:28 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:00:12AM +0100, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> * 2010-01-28 15:56, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > I recently came up with a different and perhaps a bit simpler solution:
> >
> >   * make zope.sendmail not start the thread during ZCML processing,
> >     instead make it listen for ProcessStarting events and start the
> >     thread then.
>
> I like your approach, as long as the console script is also provided to
> process the queue (as it is now in 3.8.0).

Oh, absolutely, the standalone script is a wonderful idea.

> In any way, to keep BBB, we should ensure that users of zope.sendmail will
> have the thread running by default, without changing their code.

Yesterday I tried to upgrade to zope.sendmail 3.7.1 in an app that's
currently based on Zope 3.4 KGS.  I had to give up after two hours of
fighting explicit and implicit compatibility problems and upgrading most
of the version pins.  The zope.component >= 3.8.0 requirement is deadly.

My motivation to have an alternative fix that could be backported to
something compatible with Zope 3.4 KGS is now much higher.

Marius Gedminas