[Zope-dev] Zope 2.12.9 broke ZMySQLDA in the middle of a stable release series

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leorochael at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 11:13:42 EDT 2010

Hi,

The latest Zope 2.12.9 release broke the last release of Products.ZMySQLDA.

To demonstrate, bootstrap and run the attached buildout, then run:

  $ bin/py -c "import Shared.DC.ZRDB, Products.ZMySQLDA"

You'll get the following traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/py", line 107, in <module>
    exec _val
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/leo/opt/zmysqlda/eggs/Products.ZMySQLDA-3.1-py2.6.egg/Products/ZMySQLDA/__init__.py",
line 90, in <module>
    import DA
  File "/home/leo/opt/zmysqlda/eggs/Products.ZMySQLDA-3.1-py2.6.egg/Products/ZMySQLDA/DA.py",
line 243, in <module>
    os.path.join('Shared','DC','ZRDB','www','DBAdapterFolder_icon.gif'))}
  File "/home/leo/opt/zmysqlda/eggs/Zope2-2.12.9-py2.6-linux-x86_64.egg/App/ImageFile.py",
line 77, in __init__
    stat_info = os.stat(path)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/home/leo/opt/zmysqlda/eggs/Zope2-2.12.9-py2.6-linux-x86_64.egg/Shared/DC/ZRDB/www/DBAdapterFolder_icon.gif'

Edit buildout.cfg and switch the extends directive to the commented
out 2.12.8 tag and see that the above command shows no error, only a
deprecation warning that is unrelated to the breakage above.

Internal buildbots that tracked the 2.12 branch notified me of this
problem, but in between catching up with all the traffic for the
mailing lists and the Zope commit, and a day job, I didn't have enough
time to track down the issue before the 2.12.9 release was made: there
was less than 4 days between spinning off Products.ZSQLMethods and the
new 2.12 release.

The most trivial fix seems fairly obvious: ZMySQLDA should carry its
own icon, but in any case, Zope 2.12 should not break compatibility in
the middle of a stable series. I strongly suspect other Zope2 DB
adapters to suffer from the same problem.

I'm not sure what the proper fix should be. App.ImageFile.ImageFile
could grow support for icons outside of software_home, or perhaps the
spinning-off of Shared.DC.ZRDB should be delayed to the 2.13 series
only, but in any case the 2.12 branch should be a safe upgrade for
third party code as much as reasonably possible.

suggestions?

Cheers,

Leo