[Zope-dev] Zope 2.12.9 broke ZMySQLDA in the middle of a stable release series

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue Jul 13 13:46:29 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Leonardo Rochael Almeida
<leorochael at gmail.com> wrote:
> And I'm not disagreeing with the policy, but it can be argued that
> depending on the location of *data* files inside the Zope2 package is
> not necessarily relying on "guarantees on internals".

I'd call anything that relies on a specific file system layout to be
internals. We only make guarantees on the semantics of the Python
import system, not how packages and modules are stitched together in
distributions and end up on the file system.

> Obviously. Still, App.ImageFile.ImageFile (and any other Zope2 APIs
> that do rely on software_home) should give a clear warning when
> software_home is assumed, since it is the one assuming it. The
> exception raised by the ImageFile call now gives no clue on what
> actually went wrong and what a developer should do about it.

I agree with that. I thought the call to software home was being made
inside ZMySQLDA and not in Zope 2 code.

Hanno