[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: Zope/branches/2.12/ - LP #143533: Instead of showing "0.0.0.0" as server name when no

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Wed Jul 14 10:52:46 EDT 2010

On 7/14/10 16:43 , Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On 7/14/10 16:28 , Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> On 7/14/10 16:19 , Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>>> Log message for revision 114741:
>>>     - LP #143533: Instead of showing "0.0.0.0" as server name when no
>>>       specific listening IP is configured for the HTTP server, do a
>>>       socket lookup to show the current server's fully qualified name.
>>
>> Can I object to this change? I would much rather always see the IP
>> address than just the hostname since that is a lot more information.  If
>> we change this can we please make it show both IP and hostname?
>
> Hi Wichert,
>
> The IP makes no sense, because 0.0.0.0 is strictly speaking correct as
> the IP value, since the process is listening on all interfaces. At that
> point we have no progress at all. 0.0.0.0 doesn't tell the viewer
> anything about what server it came from, either.

I don't mind doing this for a SERVER_NAME in the response, but looking
at the diff from the commit email you also changed the startup message
from Zope 2 with this change. That is the bit I find problematic: I want
to be able to immediately see if the Zope instance is bound to a
specific IP address or ANY/0.0.0.0.

Wichert.