[Zope-dev] Zope 2.13 - next steps

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Mon Jun 14 10:16:08 EDT 2010

hello,

On 13/06/2010 Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Jonas Meurer <jonas at freesources.org> wrote:
> > another build system would be magnificent :-)
> >
> > the new build system in zope2.12 makes it hard/impossible to distribute
> > zope2 binaries within linux/*bsd/hurd/... distributions. so far no
> > distribution i know contains zope2.12, and the most obvious reason is
> > the new build system.
>
> In the Zope community we have decided to stop maintaining our own
> build infrastructure, as we simply do not have the resources to do so.
> Getting this right in a cross platform manner including Windows is no
> small task and there's no general open-source build infrastructure
> that provides this. Therefor we have decided to go with a language
> specific build infrastructure in the form of distutils and its
> extension setuptools / distribute.
>
> Personally I think this has been the right choice for us and has
> triggered a new interest in distutils. distutils2 is the latest
> offspring of that effort and is making good progress. Better
> integration into operating system package managers is one of the main
> focus areas of that effort. While solving these issues on the Python
> language level takes more time, it ultimately is the better approach.
>
> > thus i suggest to either provide monolithic tarballs which do contain
> > the debendencies, or change release policy for the dependencies to not
> > break backwards compability with every minor release.
>
> I consider packaging up individual Python distributions as individual
> system packages as a flawed approach. The specific dependencies on
> exact versions of these distributions for any given application are
> too diverse for this approach to make much sense. The number of
> releases is so frequent and the stability requirements so different
> from system packages, that this just isn't a good match.
>
> If I were to package anything as a system package, then it would be
> one big package for something like CMFDefault, Plone or Zenoss as an
> application or one package for a custom developed application.
> zc.sourcerelease is one approach to help in this task for a
> zc.buildout based application.

first, thanks for clarifying. did i get you right, that for the future,
monolithic source releases of zope2 are planned again once the dust has
settled?

and second, does documentation exist which explains how to craft a
monolithic tarball with zc.sourcerelease in order to build zope2.12
without network access? i still didn't get the picture regarding
buildout, and thus don't understand zc.sourcerelease either :-/

greetings,
 jonas