[Zope-dev] Possible DateTime timezone-related regression in Zope 2.12

Andreas Zeidler az at zitc.de
Fri Mar 5 04:53:17 EST 2010

On 11.01.10 01:47, Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Laurence Rowe wrote:
>> I believe the current behaviour is intentional to preserve backwards
>> compatibility. See the discussion starting here:
>> https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2007-October/030042.html
>>
>> Maybe it was 'fixed' on 2.10 branch some time later.
>
> Sorry, just to be clear - which behaviour is correct? The 2.10 one or
> the 2.12 one?

imho, the one from 2.10.  i think about anyone would expect to have a
simple date given being interpreted as from their current time zone, no?

also, look at the following (using `DateTime` 2.12):

  $ ~/plone/coredev/branches/4.0/bin/zopepy
  >>> from DateTime import DateTime
  >>> now = DateTime()
  >>> now == DateTime(now)
  True
  >>> now == DateTime(now.ISO())
  False

this is a _pretty_ behaviour, to say the least! :)

> My vote would go for the 2.10 one - in the absence of timezone
> information, assume local timezone, not GMT.

+1, definitely.

> If we agree on that, is it clear what needs to be changed for this to work?

yes, i believe it is.  we need to revert Laurence' revert
(http://zope3.pov.lt/trac/changeset/81213) and fix those BBB issues in
another way.

> Can we also agree that it's very bad for 2.10 and 2.12 to exhibit
> different behaviour here?

+1

andi

zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - info at zitc.de