[Zope-dev] Uses of the ZTK and how it relates to management

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Fri Mar 5 04:55:27 EST 2010

On 03/04/2010 04:13 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Fabio Tranchitella <kobold at kobold.it> wrote:
>> * 2010-03-03 21:44, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> The ZTK was created in part to deal with instability issues arising from
>>> people working on parts without testing the whole.
>>
>> I suppose everybody here agrees that any change to a package which is part
>> of the ZTK *must* be tested against the whole ZTK.
>
> It would be great if that were true.

That's been my understanding all the time. I think we currently don't do
it because it might be non-obvious to the individual developers at the
time of check-in and due to underused tools.

We may not require that a single developer run all test suites in all
combinations we desire to be compatible, but with the ongoing effort to
improve the nightly/automated builds we should get into better shape there.

The one issue with delayed testing is that we would have to impose a
rule which requires "cool down" time after a checkin before making a
release. That's probably not a terrible thing anyway.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com