[Zope-dev] Another buildbot with the package trunks of the ZTK

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Sun Mar 7 14:17:42 EST 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure that testing ZTK against the package trunks is quite the
> right thing:  we have to be free to make changes to trunks while leaving
> the ZTK "known good" on older, stable versions:  otherwise we might as
> well[ be releasing a monolithic tarball.

I think the term "trunk" is misleading here. The ztk.cfg [1] uses the
mr.developer approach, which is based on a "sources" section. So
there's is an explicit configuration for each package noting which SVN
location is considered the source of the next release for that
package.

The buildbot uses this information and checks out each of these SVN
locations. It just so happens that these all point to trunk at the
moment. But as soon as we get some stability guarantee / feature
freeze for the ZTK, some of the locations will need to change to
appropriate maintenance branches.

I think it is useful to get notified if changes to Subversion break
the ZTK. One of the appropriate actions for the ZTK maintainers might
then be to create a maintenance branch of a breaking package and
opt-out of the new feature.

That's at least the way we handle this in Plone :-)

Hanno

[1] http://svn.zope.org/zopetoolkit/trunk/ztk.cfg?view=markup