[Zope-dev] Hanno, please update the ZTK

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon May 3 06:34:54 EDT 2010

Hi there,

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> I expect us to define the process around package releases and updating
> the ZTK. It's not entirely clear to me who should and who is allowed
> to update the ZTK definition. We'll figure things out and once we have
> I'll stick to the rules.

My few cents:

I think everybody should be allowed to update the ZTK definition. They
should follow certain guidelines (run tests, and such. Maybe updating a
changelog is a good idea too). Stability can be taken care of by
branching and tagging. I.e. the same guidelines as we have for other
pieces of code can be a good starting point.

To get back to the discussion that caused the fork. We have implicit,
but I think widely understood and accepted, rules about backwards
compatibility. So we don't expect someone to rip out half the code of a
Python package just like that. Generally we expect the tests to continue
to run. Similarly we shouldn't just drop things from the ZTK without
special action (this involves removing tests too!). We started to try to
spell some of that out here long ago:

http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/about/coreextra.html

But I'd hate it if the ZTK trunk became some kind of bureaucratic maze,
as it'd stop me from getting work done.

Regards,

Martijn