[Zope-dev] Conform to repository policy.

Zvezdan Petkovic zvezdan at zope.com
Thu May 6 09:44:41 EDT 2010

On May 6, 2010, at 9:09 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

>> Christian Theune has already mentioned that the inclusion of the author check in his script was a misunderstanding.
>>
>> If you did not see that message already it's here:
>>
>> https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2010-April/040223.html
>>
>> Can we now please stop changing the author information?
>>
>> Otherwise, let me just repeat the question I already asked and Christian answered.
>>
>> 	Can you point us to the Zope Foundation bylaws
>> 	or a policy document that requires this?
>>
>> 	I cannot find this in a contributor agreement.
>>
>> Best regards,
>
> 'Zope Corporation and Contributors' is not a reasonable value for author here, as ZC has transferred all copyrights to the foundation.

Copyright and author are two different things.
ZF has the copyright.  We signed that in the contributor agreement.

Why exactly is "Zope Foundation and Contributors" a more reasonable value?  When has Zope Foundation written a piece of code?

> If you as the originial author of zope.minmax wanted to update it to have your own name, and set the maintainer to 'Zope Foundation and Contributors', that would be OK with me, personally.

If I wanted to put my name on it I would have done it in the initial release.  I was fine with having ZC as author there.

However, what you or I are fine with, "personally", absolutely does not matter.  What matters is whether something is right or wrong.

> However, until the ZF repository commmittee (Christian, acting for the
> board) updates the zope.repositorypolicy checker and fixer scripts, I'm going to check in changes which comply with the policy as spelled out in those scripts.

So, basically you are saying that we are going to follow an admittedly wrong unilateral decision until somebody finds the time to change it?

Why are we so quick to follow that policy and so slow in changing it?

BTW, you still did not answer my question.

	Can you point us to the Zope Foundation bylaws
	or a policy *document* that requires this?

	I cannot find this in a contributor agreement.

I'm sorry, but I just cannot accept a script as a legal document.

Best regards,

	Zvezdan