[Zope-dev] RestrictedPython - inserting variables before doing exec(code)

Russ Ferriday russf at topia.com
Wed Nov 3 15:47:33 EDT 2010

Good day!

Refs:
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/RestrictedPython

I want to pass existing bound variables into the environment of some restricted code before running it.

This is similar to when globals are passed to compile_restricted_function.

The idea...

        x = 42
        y = 'foo'
        src="""print x*2; print y; return printed"""
        code=compile_restricted(src, '<string>', 'exec')
        code.global['x'] = x                         # <- just dreaming, here.
        code.global['y'] = y                         # <- just dreaming, here.
        ans = exec(code) in restricted_globals
        print ans                                    # prints   "84\n'foo'\n"

It's clear that passing in arbitrary objects is not feasible. But what if I'm prepared to constrain input to built-in numeric and string types, possibly in or with nested dicts?

In many cases the input will be large integer or float arrays, and I want to avoid any nasty
kludge such as printing those inputs into the top lines of the src ;).  The src in the demo is a constant,
but in the application, it's provided by users via a list of pre-defined and user-created 'macros'.

If I'm missing something obvious, flames welcome!

--r.

Russ Ferriday --
CEO Topia Systems Ltd.
russf at topia.com  --  +1 (805) 910 7877  --  www.topia.com