[Zope-dev] SVN: zopetoolkit/doc/source/releaseteam/ minutes of ztk releaseteam meeting 11/09

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 03:20:21 EST 2010

On 11/18/10 16:50 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> On 11/18/2010 05:19 AM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> On 11/18/10 11:16 , Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
>>> +The ZTK would like to use distribute by default.
>
>> Is the distribute project still alive? The reason I ask is that my
>> recent experience is that bugs reported in setuptools are fixed very
>> quickly, while there is no response from the distribute team.
>
> It does look as though development velocity on 'distribute' has slowed
> to a pace quite comparable to setuptools, with setuptools having the
> more recent release.  The two trackers are at:
>
>   http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issues?status=open&status=new&kind=bug&sort=id
>
>   http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/
>
> The bitbucket UI doesn't show recency of issue activity, which would
> make the two easier to compare.
>
> I'm -1 on preferring 'distribute' in any overt way in the ZTK.  Folks
> who want it can already use it when bootstrapping a buildout::

I'll make sure this is put back on the ztk release team agenda.

Note though that there was no intention to introduce "creeping"
dependencies on distribute other than preferring it over setuptools. I
guess we had the idea distribute was still all the rage.

The Grok project also got a few reports of strange, hard to reproduce
installation problems (shutil not importable in some weird way for
example), when people were using setuptools (in combination with a
virtualenv, and zc.buildout 1.5.2) that were gone when they tried with
the distribute option.

regards, jw