[Zope-dev] (re)moving browser subpackage from zc.catalog?

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 07:42:50 EDT 2010

On 10/13/10 13:16 , Michael Howitz wrote:
> Am 13.10.2010 um 10:02 schrieb Jan-Wijbrand Kolman:
>> If I would be pedantic here I'd say there is no such thing as
>> renaming a permission. When the old name is gone, it is gone.
>> There's no mechanism similar to the BBB imports for the permission
>> ids.
>
> Not pedantic enough as there is a mechanism to rename a permission,
> see http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.dublincore/3.8.0#id3

Ah! Never to late to learn something - I didn't know that!

>> I could imagine we change zc.catalog so that the toplevel
>> configure.zcml never includes the browser subpackage's
>> configure.zcml and people that need the ZMI code, need to include
>> the zc.catalog.browser subpackage themselves. This would still
>> leave the test dependency (which is annoying but alas), but at
>> least make the zc.catalog easier to reuse.
>
> I'm fine with these suggestions but I'd suggest a new additional
> "browser" extra, which declares the dependencies of the browser
> subpackage.

Good idea. This would improve the testing situation. That would
definitely help the Grok Toolkit, as it could then run the "normal"
tests in the context of the toolkit, without pulling in the dependencies
of the browser tests.

kind regards, jw