[Zope-dev] zope.testbrowser and python2.7

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Oct 15 05:49:10 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 07:19:17PM +0200, Jan-Jaap Driessen wrote:
> The httplib.HTTPConnection API changed from python2.6 to python2.7.
> These changes are reflected in the handleErrors property of
> zope.testbrowser.browser.Browser - it is no longer possible to pass a
> boolean into the request headers. A fix is available on the trunk of
> zope.testbrowser [1]. In this implementation, a boolean is provided to
> the consumers of the testbrowser API and a string is used in the
> request headers.

That seems sane.

> This implementation is sub-optimal in my opinion.

Why?

> In the branch
> 'janjaapdriessen-handle-errors' [2] you will find a cleaner
> implementation, where the switch to handle_errors is controlled by the
> presence of a "zope-do-not-handle-errors" header. The value of the
> header is no longer interpreted. This change is backwards
> incompatible.

In what way?  This header is an internal zope.testbrowser implementation
detail, isn't it?  Or do things like z3c.testbrowser also use it?

I'm -1 for breaking backwards compatibility.

> Code relying on the 'x-zope-handle-errors' header will
> break. I have tested this implementation against the ZTK trunk on
> python2.7 and have found no breakage of this kind.

It's times like this when I want to have a full checkout of everything
in svn.zope.org (or, better yet, a search page on the web).

Grepping in my shared buildout egg cache, I see that
'x-zope-handle-errors' appears in zope.testbrowser only.

It is documented in the README as an API between testbrowser and the
server it's testing, so I'm inclined to prefer the first,
backwards-compatible solution.

> Please let me know if either of these solutions is OK with you. If so,
> grant me pypi rights (my handle is 'janjaapdriessen') so I can release
> zope.testbrowser and get a step closer to making the ZTK run on
> python2.7.

Someone gave you rights already.

Marius Gedminas
--