[Zope-dev] lxml dependency in Zope 2.12.10 KGS

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Fri Sep 10 09:04:28 EDT 2010

Hi.

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Zope 2.12.10 KGS at
> http://download.zope.org/Zope2/index/2.12.10/versions.cfg specifies
>
>  lxml = 2.2.6
>
> There is no Python 2.6 Windows build for this egg, which means that this
> version cannot be installed on Windows under Python 2.6. Version 2.2.4 is
> the latest version with safe binary eggs for all platforms.

This is unfortunate, but really a problem for the lxml community and
not us. So the lxml community cannot keep up with providing binary
Windows eggs.  This cannot force us to stick with old and buggy
versions of the software.

> What in Zope depends on lxml? Why did we pin to 2.2.6?

2.2.6 was the latest stable version available at the time of the
release. 2.2.7 had known problems with newer libxml2 versions, but I
see there's a 2.2.8 out now, which we should update to.

I'm not sure about the actual dependency situation. I think it's more
or less a convenience pin, as lxml is used very often in Zope related
projects. We provide a known good version for it in the Zope Toolkit
KGS for the same reason.

Hanno