[Zope-dev] Survey: most obscure errors

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Sep 14 06:00:58 EDT 2010

What are the most obscure error conditions you've encountered while
developing Zopeish[1] applications?

  [1] ZTK, Grok, Bluebream, the old Zope 3.x KGSes all qualify.

I'm talking about situations where the error message/traceback are
disconnected from the actual cause.  For example, forgetting to add a
security declaration in ZCML can cause TraversalError (because
ForbiddenAttribute is a subclass of AttributeError), which leads the
developer off to a wild goose chase looking for why the attribute is
missing (was it misspelled? did it come from an old database?) the first
few times this kind of error happens.

One of the goals we came up with in the Zope Summit in Halle was to
identify the most annoying of these kinds of error messages and fix
them.  I need your help for the identifying part!

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development