[Zope-dev] IUnicodeEncodingConflictResolver moronosity

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed Sep 22 10:53:43 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:24:11AM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> On 21/09/2010 23:59, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > If this means Zope2-the-application becomes unusable out of the box if
> > you've non-ASCII data in your database, then I'm -1.
>
> I'd call having the odd '?' shown in pages and a warning in your logs
> telling you about the problem in clear terms versus sporadic total
> failures by way of unicode exceptions a lot more usable, rather than the
> current situation, which is conceptually insane *and* unusable ;-)

There are people who install Zope 2 and then build their websites
through the web exclusively.  Asking them to figure out how to write and
register a utility when they upgrade their 2.12 Zope site to 2.13 is a
bit too much, in my opinion.

Why replace a bad situation with a different bad situation?  How would
you like a piece of software that r?pl?c?d ?ll th? v?w?ls w?th q??st??n
m?rks ??t ?f th? b?x unless you did a highly technical voodoo dance
under the hood?

I would be happy with the other version you pasted in this thread, the
one that tries context.management_page_charset, UTF-8, and Latin-1.
Let's do that instead.

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development