[Zope-dev] fanstatic and preprocessors

Jan-Jaap Driessen jdriessen at thehealthagency.com
Fri Apr 15 03:10:28 EDT 2011

Hi Wolfgang,

fanstatic at googlegroups.com . Let's continue this discussion there.

> Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to have a proper look at
> fanstatic (yet!), but I've just been reading about SASS and
> CoffeeScript, which are preprocessors/compilers for CSS and
> JavaScript. So I wondered whether it is within fanstatic's scope that
> one could feasibly write a plugin to support something like this.
> Something like, I drop a foo.coffee file somewhere and it would be run
> through the CoffeeScript compiler, probably cached, and served to
> clients as foo.js.
>
> (This thought has been triggered by what Rails is doing right now[1]
> which is powered by their equivalent resource manager[2].)
>
> Wolfgang
>

> [1] http://www.rubyinside.com/rails-3-1-adopts-coffeescript-jquery-sass-and-controversy-4669.html
> [2] https://github.com/sstephenson/sprockets

Supporting pre-processed resources is definitely on the fanstatic
roadmap. I am working on pluggable support for javascript resources
(CoffeeScript, Google Closure Compiler, ...) and CSS (SASS, LessCSS,
...).

Cheers,

--
Jan-Jaap Driessen