[Zope-dev] [ZODB-Dev] transaction as context manager, exception during commit

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 02:08:38 EST 2011

On 24/02/2011 11:38, Laurence Rowe wrote:
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> The current __exit__ for transaction managers looks like this:
>>
>>      def __exit__(self, t, v, tb):
>>          if v is None:
>>              self.commit()
>>          else:
>>              self.abort()
>>
>> ..which means that if you're using the transaction package as a context
>> manager and, say, a relational database integrity constraint is
>> violated, then you're left with a hosed transaction that still needs
>> aborting.
>>
>> How would you feel about the above changing to:
>>
>>      def __exit__(self, t, v, tb):
>>          if v is None:
>>              try:
>>                  self.commit()
>>              except:
>>                  self.abort()
>>                  raise
>>          else:
>>              self.abort()
>>
>> If this is okay, I'll be happy to write the tests and make the changes
>> provided someone does a release when I have...
>
> Looking at the way ZPublisher handles this, I think you're right.

Cool, I'll wait for Jim's verdict (and some time to implement it ;-))
before diving in...

> think you might also need to modify the __exit__ in Attempt, which
> additionally handles retrying transactions that fail.

Yeah, I see a bug relating to this was reported yesterday:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/724332

I know it's a different problem, but sounds like the code for attempt
needs some love...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk