[Zope-dev] string exceptions

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Fri Feb 25 06:09:45 EST 2011

Le 25/02/11 12:03, Laurence Rowe a écrit :
> On 25 February 2011 10:58, Godefroid Chapelle<gotcha at bubblenet.be>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I find a few string exceptions leftover in Zope 2.13 code.
>>
>> However, they are not allowed anymore in Python 2.6.
>>
>> I guess that the remaining string exceptions are in dead/semidead code.
>>
>> What practice has been followed until now regarding fixing those
>> exceptions ?
>
> According to this doc,
> http://docs.python.org/c-api/exceptions.html#deprecation-of-string-exceptions
>
> "String exceptions are still supported in the interpreter to allow
> existing code to run unmodified, but this will also change in a future
> release."
>
> It will of course be important to fix these before we move to Python
> 3.x, but I would expect that the dead/semidead code will not be
> ported.
>
> Laurence

I just tried to run the code hereunder with Python 2.6.5:

def main():
     raise "Abc"

main()

This is what I get :

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "test.py", line 4, in <module>
     main()
   File "test.py", line 2, in main
     raise "Abc"
TypeError: exceptions must be old-style classes or derived from
BaseException, not str

I am not sure what the documentation above means but it seems to be text
that was not fixed...
--
Godefroid Chapelle (aka __gotcha) http://bubblenet.be