[Zope-dev] direction

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Sun Jul 3 11:44:28 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
> Zope still needs to the virtual host monster (or something like it) even
> with the WSGI publisher; there's nothing equivalent in the WSGI world
> (unless you could repoze.vhm, which is essentially just the virtual host
> monster, and probably doesn't need to live in middleware; no one uses it
> except people who use repoze.zope2).

I'm expecting us to use repoze.vhm. But I've left the VHM in the code,
so it's easy to install one if you still need it. For some time I
expect Plone to install a VHM as part of its installation process.

> I don't have any skin in this game, but FTR, Mike Bayer isn't feeling
> all that confident about Beaker's sessioning component (or so he has
> told me).  Beaker was originally made as a caching component, and had
> sessioning jammed into it quite late; nobody is really maintaining the
> sessioning component of it now.

Well, if I can choose between modern unmaintained code from Mike Bayer
and stone-age unmaintained code from Zope, it's still an easy choice
;-)

And looking at the basics of what Beaker does here, it's still much
more useful and of better quality than what we have in Zope 2.

If there's any other non-framework-specific session machinery out
there, we could use that as well. But I think most other stuff is tied
into Django.

Hanno