[Zope-dev] direction

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Tue Jul 5 06:10:08 EDT 2011

On 7/5/11 11:56 , Martin Aspeli wrote:
> On 5 July 2011 10:31, Hanno Schlichting<hanno at hannosch.eu>  wrote:
>> So we just got ourselves a Zope2 version 3.0. And no, naming it 4.0 or
>> 5.0 or anything else doesn't make it any better at all. So 3.0 is the
>> most sensible one :)
>

> Boy, that's going to be confusing. :)
>
> I'd actually favour calling it Zope2 4.0 just to avoid any mix-up with the
> defunct Zope 3, although I don't think there are any particularly good
> options here.

I actually think it's a brilliant idea to "skip" 3.0 and call it 4.0.

As Martin said, the potential for confusion is very high. A 4.0 would
not only steer around confusing Zope3 3.x and Zope2 3.x, it would also
make it easier to move back to the simple "Zope" moniker without any
qualifying number tacked on. People who only look at version numbers
would now choose Zope 4.0 instead of falling into the "unmaintained"
Zope3 trap.

jens