[Zope-dev] direction

Tobias Helfrich Helfrich at know-it.net
Tue Jul 5 06:26:48 EDT 2011

Hi Hanno

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Tobias Helfrich
> <Helfrich at know-it.net> wrote:
> > OK, so you do think that we might use Zope 2.12 for a quite
> long time
> > without thinking about anymore updates? Will there be any security
> > updates for Zope 2.12 in the future?
>
> You want to use Zope 2.13. 2.12 is at the end of its active
> maintenance cycle as is Python 2.6 (the only Python version
> it supports).
>
> Zope 2.13 brings support for Python 2.7, which is a long-term
> maintenance release.

OK, thx for the info. So we will be able to use Zope 2.13 with the
techniques mentioned before? That will give us another two years to
think about going on with different styles. So basically Zope 2 will
be the framework for Plone only, because the community which is/was
using Zope 2 for standalone individual projects has decreased to nearly
none. So it might be a good idea to look for something completely
different? I don't think that Plone will be able to do everything we
want it to. Or do you think we can stick with Zope 2 but change the way
of building applications to ZPT/TAL? So we have to get rid of all DTML
and what about an alternative to the ZSQL Methods?

> How long Zope 2.13 is going to be supported and sees security
> fixes will depend on the community. The Plone community will
> use it for its
> 4.1 and 4.2 releases, as a result of our security policy that
> should result in us supporting Zope 2.13 for the next two
> years. Beyond that nobody knows what will happen.

I do agree.

> > Now i am completely shocked. We are building web
> applications for the
> > last 6 years in Zope 2.x. All those applications are using the
> > following techniques:
>
> [snip]
>
> What you are describing is exactly what I meant by old legacy
> Zope2 applications.
>
> You should be able to use this style of development with Zope 2.13.
> But you won't be able to upgrade to newer versions of Zope 2
> anymore and expect your code to work unmodified. We
> discouraged this style of development for the past six years.
> It should come as no surprise that it will come to an end at
> some point.

OK, i have subscribed to the mailing list today, so unfortunately
i haven't found this sort of information anywhere else. I don't want
to blame you or anyone else for that, but it's not nice to hear that
right now :-(
It might has been too confusing in the past, with Zope 3 being such
a mistake and of course i haven't really checked whether to change
something or not...

> Hanno

Toby