[Zope-dev] PyCon Zope sprint Python 3 progress report / roadmap.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 14:05:24 EDT 2011

We are here in Atlanta porting Zope stuff, and I've updated the
roadmap, so I thought I'd post it on zope-dev and python-porting, so
people know things are happening, and that they should have been here,
because PyCon was awesome!

So yesterday we've finished the porting of some low-hanging fruits,
and they are now just hanging around waiting for releases. The
complete roadmap for zope.component porting is here:

Done and released:
==================

setuptools (ie distribute)
zope.interface
zope.event
zope.exceptions
zope.testrunner

Low hanging fruit:
==================

zope.i18nmessageid: Done - not released
   setuptools - Done
TODO: Trunk supports Python 3, not yet released.

zope.hookable: Done - not released
   setuptools - Done
   zope.testing - [test] Done, not released
TODO: Trunk supports Python 3, not yet released.

zope.proxy: Done - not released
   setuptools - Done
   zope.interface - Done
TODO: Trunk supports Python 3, not yet released.

zope.testing: Done - not released
   setuptools - Done
   zope.interface - Done
   zope.exceptions - Done
TODO: Trunk supports Python 3, not yet released.

zope.testrunnner: Done
   setuptools - Done
   zope.interface - Done
   zope.exceptions - Done
   zope.testing - [test] Done, not released
TODO: Some cleanup needed after releasing zope.testing for Python 3.

Mid hanging fruit:
==================

zope.configuration:
   setuptools - Done
   zope.interface - Done
   zope.i18nmessageid -  Done, not released
   zope.schema

transaction:
   zope.interface - Done

zc.lockfile:
   setuptools - Done

ZConfig:
   None

zdaemon:
   None

manuel:
   setuptools - Done
   zope.testrunner - Done, waiting for zope.testing.
   zope.testing - [test] Done, not released

High hanging fruit:
===================
zc.buildout: In Progress
   setuptools - Done
   zope.testing - [test] Done, not released

zope.component:
   setuptools - Done
   zope.interface - Done
   zope.event - Done
   zope.testing - [test] Done, not released
   zope.testrunner - [test] Almost done, waiting for zope.testing.
   zope.hookable - [hook] [test] Done, not released
   zope.i18nmessageid - [zcml] Done, not released
   zope.proxy - [security]
   zope.location - [security] (Note semi-circular dependency)
   zope.security - [security] (Note semi-circular dependency)
   zope.configuration - [zcml]
   ZODB3 - [persistentregistry] [test]
COMMENT: Loads of tests, mostly doctests means this is a pain to port. Also
there is loads of magic which also may be a pain to port. Lastly, to run all
the tests, we need a lot of extra modules, and some of those require
zope.component. So we need to run only some tests under Python 3, and add
tests once we port the other modules.

zope.component dependencies
===========================

Optional packages for zope.component. Should be ported directly after
zope.component. I don't know how difficult these are to port.

zope.schema:
   setuptools - Done
   zope.interface - Done
   zope.event - Done
   zope.testing - [test] Done, not released
   z3c.recipe.sphinxdoc - [docs]
COMMENT: Sphinx isn't ported yet. That's only for docs though, so no biggie.
Possibly we'll have to avoid zc.buildout because of that.

zope.location:
   setuptools - Done
   zope.interface - Done
   zope.proxy
   zope.schema
   zope.component - (Note semi-circular dependency)

zope.security: (Uses a c-module)
   setuptools - Done
   zope.interface - Done
   zope.i18nmessageid -  Done, not released
   zope.proxy
   zope.component - (Note semi-circular dependency)
   zope.location
   zope.schema
   zope.testing - [test] Done, not released

ZODB3:
   zope.event - Done
   zope.interface - Done
   transaction
   zc.lockfile
   ZConfig
   zdaemon
   zope.testing - [test] Done, not released
   manuel - [test]
COMMENT: Once zope.testing and zc.buildout are done, merging Martins work
might not be too painful.