[Zope-dev] Anyone want to do Google Summer of code mentoring for PSF?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Mar 21 09:20:47 EDT 2011

On 03/20/2011 02:31 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Lennart Regebro<regebro at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Getting ZCA/ZTK to run on PyPy is probably easier, and actually more
>> useful. Maybe someone would want to mentor that?
>
> This is another porting project.  If I was a student, I wouldn't find it very
> interesting to port some code I hadn't written and probably don't
> understand from
> one platform to another.  (My earlier comment on py2k->py3k porting wasn't meant
> as a dig against py3k bit rather to say that I didn't think porting
> projects would
> be very interesting.)

That's true, we had bad experience with the Jython project a few years
ago. It depends on the students though; I think we had better experience
with a project to move Zope 2 forward to a newer version of Python 2.x
(if I recall that correctly).

But writing new code is a lot more fun. But if you're going to do
porting, PyPy is a lot more tempting as a target for me.

Regards,

Martijn