[Zope-dev] beta.zope.org (www.zope.org relaunch project)

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue May 10 05:52:14 EDT 2011

Hi there,

On 05/10/2011 06:55 AM, Andreas Jung wrote:

> Constructive criticism and feedback is welcome _now_.

Application servers has Zope & BlueBream.

Then Grok's at the bottom under 'Frameworks' together with CMF, Repoze,
ZCA, ZTK and ZPT.

Grok is most like BlueBream and should be in a category with BlueBream.
If Grok's a framework so's BlueBream.

I'd call 'Application servers', which is mostly a term from Java land,
"web frameworks" instead, because that's what Python developers will
understand, and put Zope, BlueBream and Grok under it. If it sorts
alphabetically (frameworks seems to do so) and Grok comes first, I don't
mind. :)

Just think about whether Zope stuff is more like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_server

or more like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_framework

The Frameworks entry seems like a total grab bag to me ("I didn't know
where to put this"), which is why I wouldn't want Grok presented that
way. But you'd need to split up 'Frameworks' really.

ZCA and ZPT can be successfully presented as libraries (framework-style
libraries perhaps, but they're just libraries you can install and use),
and ZTK is a collection of libraries (which in fact contains the former
two libraries).

I'd say make a new heading:

Zope Toolkit

Put under it:

* ZCA

* ZPT

* other Zope toolkit libraries

So we're highlighting two important libraries and say we have a lot
more, managed within the ZTK.

You can put CMF and Repoze under Frameworks if you wish.

But a question: do we really want to present CMF as a current framework
that people can use to start projects on? If not, and it's legacy only,
should we really present it as an entry point? I'm not sure where Repoze
would go in all this though.

Regards,

Martijn