[Zope-dev] Revert removal of ++skin++ in Zope4?

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Nov 16 11:30:34 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 11/16/2011 12:24 PM, Laurence Rowe wrote:
> On 16 November 2011 10:30, Christian Theune<ct at gocept.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to revert the removal of the ++skin++ traverser in Zope 4.
>>
>> As we're working on a replacement ZMI at a sprint currently (more
>> details about that in a bit) we'd like to leverage this feature.
>>
>>   From my perspective, I value that Zope 2/4 has always made some choices
>> upfront that one could leverage right away. Especially as multiple
>> orthogonal components (like: your application and the ZMI) need to
>> leverage this plugin point, I'd rather have this provided by the framework.
>>
>> I couldn't find an argument anywhere why ++skin++ should be gone.
>
> It was removed in http://zope3.pov.lt/trac/changeset/122056 because it
> wasn't actually being used anywhere. I'm not completely averse to
> adding it back, but it does create confusion with the various
> different alternatives in Zope2 like CMF skins and plone.browserlayer.

I think it was not used by Zope2 itself - however, it's a feature
provided by the framework that applications can use. I guess there might
be features in a framework that the framework itself doesn't make use of.

Going down into the new ZMI project I find it to be the most
light-weight approach without adding an extra dependency.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com
Zope and Plone consulting, development, hosting, operations