[Zope-dev] Zope 4 ZMI sprint report

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Nov 16 15:39:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

as you might have noticed there was a sprint and we'd like to update you
on what happened. :) Sorry if we under-communicated beforehand.

As part of the DZUG[1] sprint series[2] we tried looking into what a
refreshed ZMI for Zope 4 could be.

We started working on some code (it's really not that much) and gathered
our thoughts[3] about the ZMI that might be interesting for you to read.
We hope to follow up on this in the near future.

However, we also discussed technical and organisational hurdles that we
met and that kept us from "just doing" the ZMI and we're currently
approaching the Zope Foundation board about "officially" establishing
the Zope 4 project and concentrating our efforts on that.

We think there will be a need (and we have some ideas for that) to
establish project management, a mission statement and road map so that
we can all channel our efforts together.

Cheers,
Christian Theune (and Charlie Clark, Veit Schiele, Yvo Schubbe, Jens
Vagelpohl)

[1] In case you haven't heard, we're in the process of renaming this to
    "Python Software Verband" - Germany's Python Software Foundation. So
     PySV will be showing up instead of DZUG in the future.

[2] We're working on a sprint series concept that will establish
     sprint opportunities for Python-related projects in Germany on a
     quarterly basis. I personally hope to use those to work on stuff
     like Zope 4 in a more productive manner than with those sprint days
     attached to an already exhausting conference.

[3] http://docs.zope.org/zmi.core/thoughts.html

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com
Zope and Plone consulting, development, hosting, operations