[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zc.buildout/ Moved to github

Robert Niederreiter rnix at squarewave.at
Sun Aug 19 10:59:45 UTC 2012

On 19.08.2012 12:16, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2012, at 10:55 , Robert Niederreiter <rnix at squarewave.at> wrote:
>
>> https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/blob/master/CONTRIBUTORS.txt
>>
>> btw - pyramid seem to have a very pragmatic approach for the signing process ;)
>
> An approach I doubt will hold up in a court of law. We require and have wet signatures, which makes me feel a lot more "on the safe side".
Thats fine to everyone i think. Referring to github this would require
to give write access only to people who have signed the agreement.

>> Either way - SVN or GIT - it is just a question IF merging code from a non-contributor is done BY a contributor, not HOW.
>
> Done by a contributor with some clear gesture from the non-contributor that code ownership is going into the hands of that contributor.
How does this 'clear gesture' from the non-contributor look like right
now? A patch attached to an email or a bug report? As Lennard pointed
out, how does this differ from a pull request attached to a repository?

>> For me the discussion sounds a little like a general denial against github using the legal story as rationale.
>
> Speaking for myself as ZF representative, it is my duty to make sure that chain of custody for the code is upheld and safeguarded. Convenience, which I feel is driving the move towards GitHub, is nice to have. But I would not do my job if I didn't make extra-sure that any move for Zope Foundation code did not fulfil all legal requirements before spending much thought on convenience.
Also perfectly fine.

Maybe it's anyway a good idea to find a process enabling contributors
going to github with ZF code.

robert