[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zc.buildout/ Moved to github

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Sun Aug 19 14:25:55 UTC 2012

Hi

On 2012-08-19 11:05:39 +0000, Lennart Regebro said:

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens at dataflake.org> wrote:
>> Speaking for myself as ZF representative, it is my duty to make sure
>> that chain of custody for the code is upheld and safeguarded.
>> Convenience, which I feel is driving the move towards GitHub, is nice
>> to have. But I would not do my job if I didn't make extra-sure that any
>> move for Zope Foundation code did not fulfil all legal requirements
>> before spending much thought on convenience.
>
> Absolutely, and you are doing a good job as well, as you have no
> identified a problem that we have been having for a long time, before
> the problem actually turns legal. That's an amazing relief, because it
> means we can fix it.

FWIW I have pointed Domen Kožar at the contributor agreement
instructions located here:

- http://docs.zope.org/developer/becoming-a-committer.html

and he is interested in signing.

What I'd like to see is this issue addressed by a lawyer so we can
figure out how to make GitHub work for Zope. If Jim's work on Buildout
2 on GitHub is considered a fork, then I think something is wrong with
our process.

Here are some scenarios to demonstrate what I think the important
issues we must clarify are:

Scenario 1
--------------
- Alex has signed the contributor agreement and commits code to
svn.zope.org, no problem.

Scenario 2
---------------
- Alex has signed the contributor agreement and commits patches from
other people (who have not signed the agreement) to svn.zope.org, not
allowed, IIUC.

Scenario 3
---------------
- Alex has signed the contributor agreement and commits code to
GitHub/buildout, no problem.

Scenario 4
---------------
- Alex has signed the contributor agreement and commits patches from
other people (who have not signed the agreement) to GitHub/buildout not
allowed, IIUC.

Scenario 5
- No commits from anyone who has not signed the contributor agreement
are allowed.

If we can all agree on the above, then the only thing left AFAICT is
for the ZF to "bless" GitHub/buildout as a ZF repository and have a
lawyer confirm that this blessing has merit from a legal perspective.

Alex

Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com