[Zope-dev] We need to change how code ownership works.

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Mon Aug 20 10:39:11 UTC 2012

Am 20.08.2012, 12:27 Uhr, schrieb Robert Niederreiter <rnix at squarewave.at>:

> There are lots of very famous os projects hostet on github - which -
> without any doubt raises the reputation of github itself.

ah, the common cold defence: everyone has it so it must be good.

>  https://github.com/popular/starred
>  i doubt that github i willing to get into the doghouse by doing really
> nasty things - and thus getting into risk of loosing projects.

This is pure speculation, or are you privy to board decisions at Github.

>  lots of you also use gmail, g+ or other stuff, where i have more
> concerns about abuse than at github...

This irrelevant in the context of ownership and copyright.

>  even the linux kernel guys seem to prefer the benefits of github.
>  https://github.com/torvalds/linux

Yes, promotional materials would have nothing to do with the commercial
nature of the service. Not that I'm against a commercial service provider.

>  still, all your concerns are reasonable, but the claimed implications
> should stay lifelike.

I raised a specific objection: that the onus is on anyone with a Github
account to demonstrate their code does not violate any patents in the case
of a claim feels like a pretty real threat to me.

Again, as Jens has repeatedly said we should not conflate the separate
items of toolchain and service provider. Zope Foundation has hardware and
a proven track record in hosting. Is anyone actually criticising this?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director