[Zope-dev] [ZODB-Dev] [announce] NEO 1.0 - scalable and redundant storage for ZODB

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Tue Aug 28 14:31:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Vincent Pelletier <vincent at nexedi.com> wrote:
> NEO aims at being a replacement for use-cases where ZEO is used, but
> with better scalability (by allowing data of a single database to be
> distributed over several machines, and by removing database-level
> locking), with failure resilience (by mirroring database content among
> machines). Under the hood, it relies on simple features of SQL
> databases (safe on-disk data structure, efficient memory usage,
> efficient indexes).

How does NEO compare to RelStorage? NEO appears to implement the
storage roughly in the same way; store pickles in tables in a SQL
database.

Some differences that I can see from reading your email:

* NEO takes care of replication itself; RelStorage pushes that
responsibility to the database used.
* NEO supports MySQL and sqlite, RelStorage MySQL, PostgreSQL and Oracle.
* RelStorage can act as a BlobStorage, NEO can not.

Anything else different? Did you make any performance comparisons
between RelStorage and NEO?

--
Martijn Pieters