[Zope-dev] SVN: persistent/trunk/ Prep 4.0.4 release.

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Thu Dec 13 07:48:26 UTC 2012

On Dec 13, 2012, at 0:30 , Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

>> Getting distribution for 'persistent>=4.0.0dev,<4.1dev'. cc1.exe:
>> error: unrecognized command line option '-mno-cygwin' error: Setup
>> script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1 An
>> error occurred when trying to install persistent 4.0.4. Look above
>> this message for any errors that were output by easy_install. While:
>> Installing test. Getting distribution for
>> 'persistent>=4.0.0dev,<4.1dev'. Error: Couldn't install: persistent
>> 4.0.4
>
> I don't know what the error message is about '-mno-cygwin'.

From another project where I was forced to use Windoze I dimly remember that this issue arises when compiling any C extension with the installed Python. That "-mno-cygwin" flag is defined deep inside setuptools itself and clashes with newer versions of the compilation tools which don't know that flag anymore.

I may have some of the details wrong, but this is *not* an issue with the persistent package requiring a special build setup. The issue is at the Python level and how setuptools interacts with the compiler when building C extensions.

In that project I was successfully building extensions using Cygwin.

jens