[Zope-dev] Current state of Python 3 migration

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed Dec 19 18:57:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 01:37:04PM -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:
> On 12/19/2012 01:34 PM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >>
> >> zope.proxy 4.1.0 released with that section Py3k compatible.  Note
> >> that the cleanup required (enabling PyCapsule on Python 2.7)
> >> requires that extensions built under Python 2.7 against a 4.0.x
> >> version of the zope.proxy header must be rebuilt.
> >
> > What happens if they're not?  Segfault?
>
> I think a little more graceful than that:  you get a "module
> initialization error", or something.

Yeah, just got this

  SystemError: dynamic module not initialized properly

when I checked out z3c.ptcompat, bootstrapped, buildouted, and ran
bin/test.

This is a bit unpleasant: I've zope.security 3.8.3 in my shared buildout
eggs directory.  If I wipe it and reinstall, I'll get it built
ABI-compatible with zope.proxy 4.1.0 and all my existing buildouts that
used zope.security 3.8.3 with an older zope.proxy will stop working.

If I don't wipe it, I can't create any new buildouts that pull in an
unversioned dependency on zope.proxy.

Ideas?

Would it be possible to release zope.security 4.0.0 any time soonish?
Then new buildouts would get new zope.proxy and new zope.security, while
old buildouts would happily continue to use old ones.

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development