[Zope-dev] Zope 4 release management

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 13:21:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 13:03, Alex Clark <aclark at aclark.net> wrote:
>> - what RCS software to use
>> - where to host it
>>
>> It may be easier if we disentangled them.
>
> Traditionally it was easier, but now-a-days with github and bitbucket they
> are harder to disentangle.

It is entangled, but it is important to notice that they are separate concerns.

I do think the big issue is where to host it. Yes, fine, people have
opinions on git vs svn vs hg, etc. But that boils down to 25%
technical arguments, 25% what you are used to 25% what everyone else
uses and then 30% religion to make sure the bucket overflows.

But where to host it is a tricky issue. Ownership and control is one
big argument for having our own servers. Githubs forking/merging
process a big argument for going to github. Should you then decide
that github is the place  to host it, well, then git is the software
to use.

To be honest I see little point in just setting up our own git
repository. Yeah, maybe git is better from some technical standpoints,
but it's also harder to use, and the question then becomes just
religion.

What we would like to do, of course, is to have a self-hosted github.
:-)  (And that exists. Buuuuuuut... it costs $250 per commiter and
year, so that's not an option, obviously.)

//Lennart