[Zope-dev] Remove zmi_views menus from zope.file?

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leorochael at gmail.com
Sun May 27 17:14:31 UTC 2012

Hi Uli,

Not sure if you wanted to remove zope-dev from copy on purpose, but
what we talk about below is probably of general interest...

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> nice to hear from you, I hope you are well :-)

I'm fine, thanks for asking! :-) Hope you're doing fine as well...

> On Sun, 27 May 2012 16:16:43 +0200 Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:
>
>> IMHO:
>>
>> Move to a conditional include of a menu.zcml that (or include a
>> menu.zcml file that conditionally) registers the browser menus for
>> zmi_views and release a new minor version, declaring an extra
>> dependency on the packages that provides zmi_views. With this, release
>> a new minor version that will be backward compatible, due to the
>> conditional.
>>
>> Then release a new major version that removes the include and the
>> conditional. Add to README the instructions for manually including
>> menu.zcml if this functionality is needed.
>>
>> If you get tired, do just one of the above :-)
>
> Yep, I planned in the same direction. The problem, however, is the
> condition. The 'condition:zcml' directive, AFAICS, only asks for
> existence of packages or features. But in the zope.file (or zmi_views)
> case I'd have to ask for zope.app.menus.zmi_views (which wouldn't be a
> package nor a feature).
>
> Furthermore if one asks for a package as condition, that could be wrong
> as people could define a zmi_views menu elsewhere and then the
> registrations should be included (okay, on the other hand one could tell
> them to include the menus.zcml manually then).

I guess we could argue that whoever provides the zmi_views menu should
provide a respective feature.

> Oh, and I haven't found out yet, which package exactly normally provides
> the zmi_views menu. Do you know it by any chance?

I tried to locate it as well, but failed. What I could discover is
that whichever distribution provides this will likely include a <menu
id="zmi_views" ...> directive somewhere.

Since you mentioned on the grok list that previous versions of grok
could work with zope.file, then perhaps you can search the eggs/
directory for this directive.

Good hunting, and please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Leo