[Zope-dev] Small fix in Products.ZCTextIndex, how to go further?

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Wed Nov 14 15:26:04 UTC 2012

Hi.

The change looks ok. But I think you broke an optimization. IIRC the code
compares the old and new values for the index, and skips the indexing step
if they are the same. The typical item.reindexObject() call sents data for
all indexes, even if just one or two them have changed. The optimization
made sure to skip any extra work, if there wasn't really any change for the
text index. Without that check, you end up updating and writing a bunch of
internal data structures in the text index every time. Those lead to slower
write performance and more conflict errors.

Could you have another look, and see if you can preserve the optimization?

Thanks,
Hanno