[Zope-dev] Status of github migration

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jan 11 15:42:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> On 01/10/2013 06:10 PM, Matthew Wilkes wrote:
>
>> Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> What is needed is not scripts, but eyeballs:  we need people who
>>> know the various packages and*care*  about getting them migrated to
>>> github to step up.  Softwward which doesn't have a champion willing
>>> to do the work should stay behind on SVN.
>>
>> The community as a whole cares about having them all migrated to
>> github. I'm sure this will happen the next time there's a sprint, just
>> like lots of them got migrated (and subsequently deleted) at the zope4
>> sprint in San Francisco a few years back.
>
> The communite as-a-whole demonstrably does *not* care about many of the
> projects on svn.zope.org.  E.g.:
>
>  https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-tests/2013-January/070977.html
>
>> We need man-hours, sure, but not champions. Being blocked on working
>> on the code because you're the first one to care about a package and
>> subsequently have to learn how to do the migration is a crazy way of
>> doing things.
>
> The foundation agreed to support moving projects to github, but that
> isn't a blank check.  For instance, if there is substantial interest in
> having the projects pulled in by the current Plone buildout moved, make a
> list of them, and recruit the folks to step up and help with the
> migration for them.  The effort requires includes doing the conversion,
> checking the results *by hand*, landing the repository, and fixing
> anything that breaks once you do (including stuff that breaks in projects
> you otherwise don't care about).
>
> Any project that can't find somebody willing to do that work (that is
> what I meant by a "champion") is better off staying on SVN:  we don't do
> ourselves favors by carrying all the unmaintained baggage of fifteen
> years worth of development forward, just for "purity" / completeness /
> whatever.

+1

BTW (speaking of cruft), as someone who used/abused svn.zope.org as a
generic open-source hosting service (when I should have used something
like code.google.com, or bitbucket, or whatever), I wonder if there
should be a process for petitioning to remove projects from the ZF
repositories. (Maybe this only applies to me :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton