[Zope-dev] Building/Testing persistent package with tox

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jan 11 16:00:47 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Stephan Richter
<stephan.richter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have just tried to build/test persistent with tox and it fails with the
> following error message::
>
>     IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/pip-u7jE1n-
> build/CHANGES.txt'
>     Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "<string>", line 16, in <module>
>
>   File "/tmp/pip-u7jE1n-build/setup.py", line 29, in <module>
>
>     open(os.path.join(here, 'CHANGES.txt')).read())
>
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/pip-u7jE1n-
> build/CHANGES.txt
>
> This is indeed correct, since the ZIP package archive created by tox in
> ./.tox/dist does not include any txt files.
>
> I use the following command to run tox:
>
> $ tox -e py27,py32
>
> How do others run tox?

The project needs to be updated with a manifest that causes .txt files
to be included in builds. (Look at zc.buildout for an example.) I
planned to do this, but hadn't gotten to it yet.  I can probably do
that this weekend.

This is needed because persistent has moved to git and
setuptools/distribute, **thankfully**, don't support git without a
plugin. **Please**, no one fix this by adding the plugin, at least not
for any projects I'm heavily involved it. I far prefer the explicit
approach afforded by a lack of VCS integration.

IMO, avoiding the setuptools/distribute VCS magic is a major
advantage of moving to git. :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton