[Zope-dev] Buildout performance improvements

Sylvain Viollon sylvain at infrae.com
Wed May 22 12:51:44 UTC 2013

Hello,

   Few years ago I made a branch of buildout:

http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/branches/sylvain-distribution-cache/

   That creates a cache during the installation of the dependencies preventing
buildout to recompute this an exponential number of times.

   The relevant changes can be summarized here (please ignore the Jython changes,
I don't know why they were removed):

http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/branches/sylvain-distribution-cache/src/zc/buildout/easy_install.py?rev=95445&r1=95404&r2=95445

    I didn't advertise my changes because of the following facts:

   - it didn't support multiple working_set using different versions of the same egg,
     which was possible at the time,

   - it didn't support multiple versions of Python, which was possible at the time,

   - it didn't seems to integrate well with the direction that was taking zc.buildout 1.5.

   I now use zc.buildout 2 and in its README it actually agree with all those facts,
so I am basically asking, do you think and/or want me propose a patch to
zc.buildout 2 on github, with this global download_cache integrated ?

   I realize that a global cache sucks, but given the code base, it is difficult not
making it global.

   Regards,

   Sylvain,

--