[Zope-dev] github etiquette

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Sep 17 15:32:27 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman
<janwijbrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/17/13 1:47 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>> I strongly prefer that the reviewer do the merge.
>>
>> I'd also really like reviewers to take their responsibility
>> seriously, making comments and suggestions where appropriate.
>>
>> Software review, done well, improves the software, and, more
>> importantly, improves the developers.
>

> I agree - I know I get better from recieving feedback :-)
>
> Is this "reviewer role" something someone takes upon himself? I mean, if I
> see a pull request for a code base that I know, I could review the request?

These are good questions.  I probably don't have satisfying answers.

The short answer is that I think people who contribute to a project
should view review as one of their duties.  For better or worse, this is
somewhat informal.

If you don't get a review in a timely manner, try posting to the
appropriate mailing list to request a review.

> Or do we acknowledge a group of people that generally do reviews (again
> formally of informally, I don't mind, I'm not looking for "official
> procedures")?

No.

> p.s. Another thing I noticed: some of the discussion about changes and
> patches and fixes now shift from the mailinglist to github. This is fine, I
> guess.

Yes, IMO.

Jim

--